Global coverage from Iridium's satellite network
Our flagship RockBLOCK 9602 product utilises the Short Burst Data (SBD) element of the Iridium Satellite Network and is by far the most popular device in our SBD range. This small, robust device is used by hobbyists and scientists alike and is versatile in its uses – from meteorological sensing, through to preventing fires in remote locations
If space is at a premium in your unit, you may want to consider the RockBLOCK 9603 instead. This device has been designed especially for product developers and system integrators used to using smaller equipment for small enclosures.
Contact Ground Control
How RockBLOCK Works
RockBLOCK takes its power from a standard 0.1″ pitch direct header connector, or alternatively via an FTDI to USB adaptor (to power/control from a USB port). If you’re using the PCB assembly version with a direct header, your host needs to supply a minimum of 100mA @ 5V.
At the heart of RockBLOCK is an Iridium 9602 satellite modem. The RockBLOCK hosts the 9602 and provides it with an antenna, and its power supply requirements. It exposes the modem’s serial interface via a breakout connector over serial, or USB (via a USB/serial adaptor).
Contact Ground Control
- Plug and play satellite communication
- Full 2-way communication system
- Optional SMA connector, for external antenna
- Truly Global operation, pole to pole
- Available as a PCB or encapsulated product
- Integrated antenna and power conditioning
- Powered via USB or direct-header connection
- Data via e-mail or directly to your web-service
- Powered By: Direct Header Connector, or optional FTDI USB adaptor
- Transmits Using: Iridium
- Size: RockBLOCK Mk2 Naked: 76.0 x 51.5 x 19.0mm
- Ideal For: RockBLOCK Mk2 Naked: Integration into existing devices
- Built in Antenna: Yes (& optional ‘SMA’ version for external antenna)
- Weight: RockBLOCK Mk2 Naked: 76 grams
- Waterproofing: RockBLOCK Mk2 Naked is *not* waterproof. If you need a waterproof unit, look at the RockBLOCK Plus
Line rental is paid in blocks of 1 month, and allows the RockBLOCK to exchange information with the Iridium satellite network. You only pay for months in which you wish to use the RockBLOCK. No annual contract is required. Line rental costs £13.00 per month and includes access to The RockBLOCK management system for managing your devices.
Credits are used each time you transmit. 1 credit is used per tracking position or per 50 characters of message sent or received. 1 credit is also used if you check your mailbox and there are no messages waiting (A mailbox check). Credits do not expire unless you do not use your account at all for 12 months. Credits are shared/pooled between all of the devices on your account.
The RockBLOCK management system allows users to amend their account details, manage RockBLOCKs, top-up accounts, review invoice details, and set-up communication between HQ, individual devices and device groups.
Upon receiving your RockBLOCK(s), first time users will need to log on to our registration page: https://rockblock.rock7.com/Operations.
Having trouble registering?
If you are not registering new units, there’s a very high chance they have been already registered somewhere else. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org, mentioning your RockBLOCK serial numbers and IMEIs so that we can look into the issue.
Talk to us
We're not invested in selling you a specific product or connections, just the best solution for your needs.