Global, Portable, BGAN Internet Hotspot for Land and Sea
The MCD-4800 “Mobile Communications Device”, also known as “The Football”, is an auto-pointing BGAN satellite terminal that requires no user training to operate. Simply place the weatherproof case on the ground or on a boat deck… or on any surface with a clear view of the sky, rain-or-shine, anywhere in the world and turn it on and then close the lid – no pointing necessary.
Within a minute the MCD-4800 becomes a powerful WiFi hotspot accessible by any wireless device within a 100 meter range for up to 5 hours on internal battery power. This auto-pointing solution uses the high performance Hughes 9450TW in-motion BGAN terminal integrated with our proprietary mobile electronics for a ruggedized self-contained, in-field or on sea, user-friendly global communications link.
Supports Other Communication Channels
While the MCD-4800 is primarily used as a wireless hotspot, the front panel includes a weather sealed Ethernet port and a phone port to connect a laptop or a standard analog phone. The charge port has a watertight seal for several external power sources such as a portable solar panel, external battery, or vehicle power adapter.
The display shows current system status and remaining battery power and a light sensor allows the display to be backlit at night (the backlight may be enabled/disabled). The MCD-4800 only has one button, the power button located inside of the case which makes is easily operated by anyone.
Built For Extreme Environments
The MCD-4800 is enclosed in a watertight hardened plastic Pelican case, and the case lid is normally closed for full operation. It operates in heavy rain and will transmit with 20mm of ice buildup before transmission issues.
It is rated at IP67, which means it can withstand immersion in water up to 1 meter. In extremely hot environments, we recommend the case lid be slightly opened for venting for long duration use to avoid heat buildup inside the case.
- No pointing or aiming… simply turn the terminal on under an open sky on land or at sea
- Connects automatically with any BGAN satellites for near 100% global service (see coverage map)
- High speeds rated at up to 464 Kbps down by 448 Kbps up (standard class 2 BGAN)
- Does not require user interaction. No software to run. Establishes AP “Hotspot” automatically
- Ruggedized. Operates in extreme conditions. Case does not need to be opened for operation
- Waterproof – Rated at IP67 (May be immersed in water up to 1 meter)
- Operates stationary or in-motion such as on top of a vehicle, or a vessel on the ocean
- WiFi Range up to 100 meters (328 feet) for laptops, smartphones…any wireless capable device
- 802,11 bgn with WPA2 WiFi security including whitelist protection options
- Ethernet RJ-45 port on the front panel is also PoE (Power over Ethernet) capable
- Compact size 17″ x 13.75″ x 6.75″ (432 x 349 x 171 mm) and weighs 25 lbs (10.9 kg)
- Internet service can be usage based, or pre-paid using standard BGAN Service Plans
- Includes standard analog phone. The RJ-11 jack is assigned an international phone number
- No rain fade – Operates in heavy rain and will function with up to 20mm of ice build up
- Internal temperature control fan – cools internal electronics during high temperatures
- Shippable – Ships UPS, FedEx, flight carry-on luggage anywhere (no special battery regulations)
- The MCD-4800 is a Ground Control integrated manufactured solution, supported by us 24/7
- Terminal: Hughes 9450TW BGAN terminal
- Terminal Capability: Internet, email, phone, fax, SMS, VoIP, FTP, Video Streaming, VPN, private networking options available
- Data / Internet Speeds (Standard IP): Up to 464Kbps (Rx) x 448Kbps (Tx). Class-2 BGAN
- Streaming Services: 32Kbps, 64Kbps, 128Kbps
- Antenna Type – Class 11
- Global Service with Inmarsat BGAN and BGAN M2M service provided by Ground Control
- BGAN Rx/Tx Frequencies: L-band, Rx @ 1525.0-1559.0MHz, Tx @ 1626.5-1660.5MHz
- EIRP: 15.1dBW
- Network: DHCP, NAT, public-static IPs available
- Firewall: At teleport – Whitelist and blacklist supported free
- Wireless LAN: 802.11b/g/n, up to 100 meters range, up to 11 concurrent wireless connections
- Wireless Security: WPA2 security, MAC filtering options for up to 10 devices
- External Ports: 1 x RJ45 LAN / PoE, 1 x RJ11 Phone, 1 x AC/DC external power, optional 3 x RJ11 for Fax group support
- Case Dimensions (LxWxH): 17″ x 13.75″ x 6.75″ (432 x 349 x 171 mm)
- Weight: 25lbs 4.3 oz (11.46kg)
- Battery Life: Up to five hours normal use
- Power Draw: 32 watts of power at idle, and 65 watts when transmitting.
- Recharge Time: Less than four hours (from fully discharged) using 110 to 240VAC (worldwide)
- Battery Type: NiMH (nickel-metal hydride)
- Regional Power Plug Compatibility: Includes international plug kit for US, UK, European, Australian, China, N. Europe
- AC/DC Power Supply: Input 110 to 240 volts AC. Output 28 volts DC @ 8 Amps. Cable length 12′ (3.6 meters)
- DC Power: 400-watt 12-volt vehicle mini-inverter included. Cable length 3.7′ (1.12 meters).
- Operating Temperatures: -25°C to +70°C (-13°F to 158°F)
- Humidity: 95% RH at +40°C
- Rain / Water / Dust: IP67 when closed (immersion in up to one meter of water)
- Wind: Unaffected by wind if case is secure
- Ice: 20mm buildup before signal loss
- Max Turning Rate (Azimuth): 40° per second
- Turning Acceleration: 50°/s2
- Case Colors Available: Desert tan (default color), yellow, black, silver, orange, OD green
- Warranty: 12 month standard warranty. Extended warranties available
- Hughes 9450TW Compliance: FCC ID: K3YHNS9450, CE: CE0470, Inmarsat certified Class-2 BGAN terminal
Rent an MCD-4800 “The Football” BGAN Terminal with everything needed for global internet and voice, on land or at sea. Just call or email us and we’ll do the rest.
Rental MCD-4800 system includes:
- MCD-4800 BGAN terminal
- AC/DC power supply charger
- Analog phone
- Mini-inverter vehicle power/charging
- Plugs for US, UK, EU, AU
- Miniature compass
- USB flash drive with user manuals, and a carry bag for accessories.
- MCD-4800 BGAN terminal flyaway case
- AC/DC power supply charger
- A standard corded analog phone
- Mini-inverter for running off a vehicle power port
- Laminated Quickstart guide
- International plugs U.S., U.K., European, Australian, China, N. Europe
- Miniature compass, to help in finding obstacle to the BGAN satellite
- USB flash drive with user manuals, mobile status gadget, software
- Carry bag to hold contents of system components.
The MCD-4800 is a compact 25 lbs (11.4 kg) hardened watertight “Flyaway Case”, easily transported and operated by anyone. An excellent solution for oil rigs, mining, public safety, global travel, ocean going vessels, or any other communication need that requires an easy, instant, no-hassle global broadband hotspot.
The MCD-4800 uses the Inmarsat BGAN satellite network for broadband Internet connectivity. It then creates a 100 meter (328 feet) Wi-Fi access point in seconds for any wireless device to connect. Wi-Fi is helpful if users wish to be inside or move around a structure untethered from the case.
The external panel includes a sealed RJ-45 Ethernet port, an RJ-11 phone port, a light sensor to backlight the display at night, a charge port, and a battery status display… all are fully sealed from weather. Chrome bumpers extend out to protect the ports from impact.
The MCD-4800 case does not need to stay opened in order to operate. Simply press the power button (inside the case) and 60 seconds later it will become a wireless hotspot anywhere on the globe for up to 5 hours on the internal battery.
The power button for the MCD-4800 is inside of the case. Simply press the button to turn the system on. No other action is required for establishing a WiFi hotspot. The BGAN SIM card tray is also easily accessed from just inside the case lid.
The 802.11 WiFi antenna is mounted next to the dome. Antennas use an RP-SMA connector and can be fitted with an optional 15dBi high-gain antenna (or any other off-the-shelf antenna) for increased WiFi range.
Connecting a wireless device such as laptops, smartphones or tables to the MCD-4800 is as easy as selecting it from available access points. Wireless security is configurable from a web interface and includes MAC address filtering.
The MCD-4800 main interface is accessed via any connected browser. Status screens show battery life, internal temperature, and links the Hughes 9450TW web interface for usage totals, parameter configurations including streaming services, static IP configuration, and SMS messaging.
Track online usage in real time – The Cloudloop web interface interface gives you real time usage statistics that shows and approximate amount data transferred, phone calls minutes made during a single session, as well as over the lifetime of the terminal.
A watertight cap protects the RJ-45 Ethernet port from the elements. A laptop or router may be connected directly to the MCD-4800. Public IP addresses are available. Ethernet lengths can be up to 328 feet (100 meters). Specially designed waterproof Ethernet connectors are available for this RJ-45 port to use with your Ethernet cable.
While the MCD-4800 is designed for Internet connectivity, it does include a standard analog phone. The phone port is issued an international satellite phone number. Any connected phone may make and receive calls from anyone on the planet for $0.99 cents usd per minute.
Calls are easily made between other terminals, satellite phones, cell phones or standard landline phones anywhere in the world, and incoming calls are free, although the calling party is burdened with the cost of calling. Local numbers from any country can be assigned to the BGAN terminal.
The MCD-4800 can be a real lifesaver since it requires no training to operate. Simply turn it on under an open sky for high-speed Wi-Fi Internet and phone anywhere on land or sea.
The MCD-4800 contents include an AC/DC charger, a mini-inverter for a 12 volt vehicle power port, a standard analog phone, international plug adapters (UK, US, AU, EU, & China), a USB flash drive with manuals, and bags to hold the equipment.
The case comes in several colors, including this one in tan, which is popular with many organizations worldwide.
The MCD-4800 is available in 6 case colors (including OD green). Desert Tan is the default color.
Seen here in OD green and bright orange.
The MCD-4800 is fully functional in any weather with the lid closed. It measures a very portable 17″L x 13.75″W x 6.75 “H (432 x 349 x 171 mm) with an IP67 rating (survives 1 meter under water).
Since the MCD-4800 fully operates in closed hardened case, it is ideal for harsh marine environments. Here the MCD-4800 is being used for primary crew connectivity for the Oceana Canada during their Gulf of St. Lawrence Expedition.
The MCD-4800 can operate with the lid open or closed (for rain or ocean spray) with no signal strength reduction. The case is fully watertight when closed. In this picture, a ship offloads supplies to another rig.
The MCD-4800 is an excellent solution to ocean faring vessels and oil-rigs. Here an IT specialist uses a wireless connection to establish connectivity. Wi-Fi may be shut off, and an Ethernet cable connection can be used for a more secure connection.
The MCD-4800 is an in-motion BGAN terminal, which makes it perfect for use on the water. The internal antenna’s turning speed is rated at 40 degrees per second, which is faster than most vessels will pitch and roll on the ocean.
400 Watt Mini-Inverter – Vehicle Power
Directional 10 dBi Wireless Antenna for the MCD-4800
Gen 2 – MCD-4800 Internal Batteries (Includes 2 packs)
Hardened MCD Accessory Case
High-Performance Optimized Laptop
Long-Range (2 mile / 3.2 km) Cordless Phones with Watertight Base Station Case
MCD – 3 Year Extended Warranty
MCD – 5 Year Extended Warranty
MCD-4800 Terminal Upgrade – Gen1 Model to Gen2
Replacement Universal Power Connectors
Get in touch
Call or email us with your questions, or complete the form, and we'll be happy to help.