One-fourth the volume and half the footprint of its predecessor, the Iridium 9602, the Iridium 9603 combines the global coverage of the Iridium satellite constellation with the low latency of the Iridium Short Burst Data service to provide highly reliable satellite communications from pole to pole.
When you send or receive small packets of data (hundreds of bytes) in difficult geographic areas, Iridium SBD may solve your problem. It uses the Iridium satellite network, which has truly global coverage, and provides a vital means of communication for M2M applications.
The 9603N modem needs to be connected to a PCB to be functionally useful. You can find detailed instructions on how to do this in the 9603 Developers’ Guide. If you are intending to build a commercially available product, please note that Iridium require you to get certification for building your own PCB around their modems. If you’re just testing or will only use the device for personal applications, you don’t need certification.
The best applications for the 9603N
It is ideal for remote weather stations, ocean drifters and buoys, monitoring of oil pipelines, controlling and reporting on equipment in the middle of nowhere. For basic telemetry and command/control applications where mobile signals don’t go, it’s ideal.
Iridium SBD is designed to move small packets of data, a few hundred bytes, from the middle of nowhere. If you’re looking to send photos, videos or large files, Iridium SBD is not for you!
We are SBD specialists. Whether you have existing Iridium equipment you’re looking to get airtime for, or you need help and advice on the best way to solve your particular problem, we’re here to help. Get in touch today – we’re friendly, knowledgeable, and we won’t baffle you with technology (unless you want us to!).
- Ideal for M2M Applications
- Small form factor, low power requirements
- Can provide/suggest SBD equipment, or provide airtime for existing equipment; we’re Iridium SBD specialists and here to help
- Truly global operation, using the Iridium satellite network
- Single-board transceiver
- Single header connector for power, on/off control, logical level asynchronous UART control and network availability
- Simple AT command interface
- SIM-less operation
- Automatic notification that mobile-terminated messages are queued
- Low, uniform global latency (less than one minute)
- Supports Short Burst Data (SBD) capability; does not support voice, circuit switched data, or short message service (SMS)
- Dimensions (LxWxH): 1.24″ x 1.17″ x 0.32″ (31.5mm x 29.6mm x 8.1mm)
- Weight: 0.025 lb (11.4g)
- Operating Temperature Range: -22F to + 158F | Operating Humidity Range: < 75% RH
- Storage Temperature Range: -40F to +185F | Storage Humidity Range: < 93% RH
- Frequency Range: 1616 to 1626.5 Mhz
- Duplexing Method: TDD (Time Domain Duplex)
- Input / Output Impedance: 50Ω
- Multiplexing Method: TDMA / FDMA
- VSWR Return Loss: 1.5:1 In Iridium Band, 3:1 Out of Band
- Supply Input Voltage Range: 5.0V +/- .2V DC
- Supply Input Voltage Ripple: <40mV pp
- Idle Current: 45 mA (average) | 195 mA (peak)
- Transmit Current: 190 mA (average) | 1.5 A (peak)
- Receive Current: 45 mA (average) | 195 mA (peak)
- SBD Message Transfer: average current – 190 mA | average power: <= 1.0 W
Please note that these are example airtime plans; please contact the Ground Control team and we’ll build a custom quote for you based on your requirements. You can also find more plans on our SBD Pricing page.
Want more information?
Please either call or email us, or complete the form, and one of the team will be in touch to provide support, advice, or a quote, as needed.