Carry On / Carry Off Tracking & Messaging
The RockAIR has quick access to alert features using the front panel, along with a comprehensive set of tracking, messaging, and M2M / IoT features. The unit comes with a quick-release mount to enable carry-on installation in seconds.
The tracker has been designed to wake up frequently in order to glean its position using the GPS satellite network. It will then transmit this position to Ground Control HQ via the Iridium satellite network (or LTE Narrowband if in range). The easy to use web-based viewer will then visualize these positions.
Using a combination of LTE Narrowband and Iridium ensures you are getting the best value for money for truly global tracking and communication.
Bluetooth LE for Advanced Two-Way Messaging
The RockAIR also allows short messages (like SMS, social media updates, and short emails) to be sent using a paired Bluetooth device, such as a smartphone, and the RockCONNECT app. This allows for full two-way communication wherever you are, even when out of mobile network range.
The RockAIR features complex geofencing capabilities working on many vertices; the device will monitor its location relative to these geofences, and can have different behaviour atttributed to each fence. For example, transmitting on entry, exit, or both; or a specific transmission frequency when inside each fence.
- Small form factor with multiple mounting options
- Can be covertly mounted and positioned
- Buttons on the front of the unit for pilot interaction, including emergency distress and manual location
- Will run on 9-30v external power supply
- Back-up internal battery, for up to two weeks’ use
- Over-the-air reconfiguration of key parameters
- Truly global operation with the Iridium satellite network
- Least-cost routing option using LTE Narrowband
- Bluetooth LE for advanced messaging (requires Bluetooth LE-compatible phone/tablet)
- External switch inputs for easy alerting from external sensors
- RS-232 serial input for M2M / IoT usage
- Powered by: 9-30v input, USB or integrated backup battery
- Transmits using: Iridium or LTE Narrowband
- Size: 3.9″ x 4.7″ x 0.98″ (100mm x 119mm x 25mm)
- Weight: 0.46 lbs (210 grams)
- Installation: via Quick Release Mounting clip
- Other certifications: FCC and CE; DO-160G
- Tracking options: Various tracking options from 1 minute to 24 hours
- Bluetooth API so users can build their own apps to send form data, messages etc.; or use the RockCONNECT app for two-way messaging
- Data can flow directly to customer servers; can connect with AWS
- Onboard geofencing, sending notifications on exit / entrance to fences
- RockAIR can change transmission rate depending on whether it’s in or outside a fence, whether it’s on GSM or the Iridium satellite network, and whether it has external power, or is running off the battery
Ground Control offers Iridium SBD airtime both as a prepaid tariff, and as an annual contract for companies planning a larger deployment of devices. Full pricing plans can be found on our Short Burst Data Pricing page.
If you choose our prepaid, or pay as you go option, line rental is paid in blocks of 1 month, and allows the RockAIR to exchange information with the Iridium satellite network. You only pay for months in which you wish to use the RockAIR. No annual contract is required. Line rental costs $23.00 per month.
Credits are used each time you transmit. 1 credit is used per 50 bytes (or part thereof) of message sent or received. 1 credit is also used if you check your mailbox and there are no messages waiting (A mailbox check). Credits do not expire, even if you are paying no line rental. Credits are shared/pooled between all of the devices on your account
Please note, while our pay-as-you-go tariffs offer great flexibility for development purposes, we know they’re not suitable for everyone. If you are planning a large deployment of devices and are willing to commit to airtime contracts of 12 months or more, please get in touch. We have access to various tariffs which may suit you better.
*These are example plans. For full details of our Short Burst Data service plans, including annual contracts, please visit our SBD pricing page.
Iridium SBD Coverage
In Low Earth Orbit (LEO) the Iridium satellite constellation is able to deliver many benefits for IoT applications, not least reduced ping time. As these satellites are much closer to the Earth’s surface, the latency – ping time, is typically less than one second.
Utilizing omni-directional antennas, data will be accepted by the closest satellite and then ‘handed off’ as appropriate to the next. Using a mesh of 66 satellites in total, the SBD service is ideal for mobile applications anywhere on the planet including both poles.
Iridium’s truly global, low-latency SBD service is perfect for monitoring and updating status on everything from weather balloons to fleet telematics. Used for tracking and IoT applications alike, this service works anywhere on Earth without expensive roaming charges or the need for multiple service agreements.
Questions about the RockAIR?
Thousands of aviators already rely upon the RockAIR, and we work with several ground-breaking software houses who enhance our tracking software with use-case specific applications. So get in touch with one of the team today, to see how the RockAIR could bring peace of mind to your team.
Our powerful carry on, carry off aviation tracking device is trusted everyday by pilots across globe. To learn more fill in the form to speak with our experienced team.