Industrial IoT Communications Device
The RockREMOTE solution bridges the gap between legacy technology and digital service evolution without requiring significant investment in a complete infrastructure refresh.
It delivers a reliable and flexible, all IP-based, dual-mode LTE-Satellite communications solution for fixed, semi-fixed or mobile M2M / IoT applications worldwide. Customers select between Ethernet, Wi-Fi or Serial RS232/485 for their communications interface requirements.
The highly adaptable RockREMOTE guarantees robust communication and provides the vital link to ensure that your data keeps flowing when the grid stops.
Contact Ground Control
RockREMOTE use cases
Oil and Gas
- Prevent production stoppage with real-time alerts of machinery failure
- Reduce response times and send fewer people into the field
Utilities & Renewables
- Visibility and control of assets spread over a wide area
- Extend the reach of telemetry applications
- Measure conditions at potential new sites without power
- Real-time reporting on power generation to prevent saturation
Transport & Cargo
- Track your fleet wherever they are on the globe
- Transmit course corrections and temperature adjustments in real-time
Contact Ground Control
- Omni-directional, with no antenna pointing required; ideal for fixed deployment in hilly or woody locations, or for on-the-move applications
- Simple to deploy, IP-based over Ethernet or Wi-Fi
- Dual mode Iridium Certus satellite network combined with LTE
- Small form factor, industry standard DIN rail mounting
- Usage optimization enables RockREMOTE to be deployed in solar powered environments in locations where mains power is unavailable
- Powerful integrated processing, storage and security enables the evolution towards Edge Computing
- Support for MQTT into IoT cloud services from Amazon, Google and Microsoft
- Ground Control’s subscription management platform, Cloudloop, enables visibility and control over your asset usage
- Hardware security module ensures that your data is secured while being transmitted over the network
- Transparent message buffering, queuing, and automatic data compression
- Satellite: Iridium Certus 9770 transceiver
- Satellite Antenna: passive omnidirectional
- Satellite Network: Iridium Certus 10 TCP/IP: 22 Kbps up / 88 Kbps down
- Cellular: LTE cellular module (regional specific variants)
- Cellular Antenna: optional external LTE antenna
- SIM Card Slots: 2 x Standard (2FF) SIM card slots (Satellite + Cellular)
- Ethernet: 1 x RJ45
- Serial: 1 x RS232, 1 x RS485 / RS422
- Digital: 1 x GPIO port with 8 x isolated GPIOs
- Processor: Quad Core 1.5GHz Cortex-A72 (ARM v8)
- Memory: 2GB RAM, 8GB Flash
- Operating System: Linux
- Range: 10v – 30v DC
- Power Consumption: 0W (Sleep), 5W (Idle), 9W (Transmit)
- Supercapacitors for safe shutdown
- Power Interface: Spring loaded header socket
- Terminal Dimensions (LxWxH): 193.3mm x 120.3mm x 117.0mm / 7.6″ x 4.7″ x 4.6″
- Terminal Weight: 1,263 grams / 2.78 lbs
- Antenna Dimensions: (Hx⌀): 150mm x 97mm / 5.9″ x 3.8″
- Mounting: Industry Standard DIN rail mounting
- Iridium Certification: Certus 100 IoT
- Temperature Rating: -40°C to + 70°C / -40°F to 158°F
- Ingress Protection: IP5x (Dust)
- Easy to use interface to configure RockREMOTE functionality
- Advanced debugging and monitoring tools
- Remote Configuration via Cloudloop Data
- Hardware Security: Dedicated hardware security module
Smart Connection Management
- Traffic routing is based upon a user programmable strategy
- Automatic reconnection and retry mechanism; on-demand, interval or scheduled connection.
Enterprise or Cloud
- Integrated with Cloudloop Data for integrated Billing. Provisioning and Usage Monitoring
- Certified support for AWS IoT Core, Google Cloud IoT and Azure IoT Hub
Frequently Asked Questions
Iridium Certus 100 is an IP based service enabling a bi-directional ‘always on’ connection between field assets and a back end solution.
Typical power consumption is 1.5 amp average with 4 amp peak. Actual power usage will be heavily dependent on how the RockREMOTE device is being used in terms of how the processing unit is utilised for any applications, and the frequency of network communications.
RockREMOTE provides support for cellular as well at satellite connectivity and offers functionality that extends beyond a pure connectivity solution. Although NB IoT will improve and extend the capabilities of cellular for IoT, it still requires access to the terrestrial cellular networks to operate reliably. For truly remote, reliable connectivity, a hybrid approach provides the most reliable method to guarantee connection.
Security is made up of a number of elements within the RockREMOTE solution. The network security is offered through VPN connections both from the satellite ground station to the land network connection, then from there to the customer site. This is further enhanced though the availability of the inbuilt hardware security module which can encrypt the data before being sent over the network, ensuring that, even if accessed along the way, data is unusable to anyone who has accessed it.
Using the combination of the Certus 100 LEO network and the Omnidirectional antenna, line of sight issues are significantly reduced. The antenna will automatically locate the satellite as opposed to having to be specifically pointed at a geostationary satellite. The solution still requires a good view of the sky.
Installation time is dependant on how / where the device and antenna are being mounted. If a DIN rail mount is already correctly located, with power and connections in place to the required measure devices, the RockREMOTE unit installation can be completed in a matter of minutes. The activity that will require greater consideration will be the external mounting of the antenna and the routing of the antenna cable.
RockREMOTE powers up and can start to send data within 90 seconds from cold start.
If network connectivity is lost, RockREMOTE will automatically re-acquire connectivity to either Satellite or Cellular networks.
RockREMOTE will auto-restart and return to its previous state after a power outage. It will automatically restore an active Iridium or cellular connection, for example.
Would you like to know more?
The Iridium Certus 100 service which underpins its functionality is one of the newest airtime options available, and Ground Control is one of a very small number of manufacturers chosen to build hardware that leverages it. Call or email us to find out more, or complete the form, and we'll be happy to help.